Born on September 3, 1924, in Buffalo, New York, Earl W. Stroh went on to study at the Art Institute of Buffalo, the Art Students League of New York with Edwin Dickinson, the University of New Mexico, and the Atelier Friedlander in Paris. In 1947, he moved to Taos, New Mexico, where he worked with Andrew Dasburg and Tom Benrimo. He became part of the “Taos Modernists” who worked in abstracted imagery.
Stroh was a close friend of D.H. and Frieda Lawrence in Taos, meeting many artists through them. In the early 1940s the heiress Helene Wurlitzer moved to Taos and began collecting local artists. Wurlitzer became Stroh’s patron. He received a grant from the new Helene V. B. Wurlitzer Foundation that allowed him to study etching with Johnny Frielaender at Atelier Friedlaender in Paris for several years in the mid 1950s.
Earl Stroh began making original lithographs in 1970 and was chosen several times as a guest artist at the University of New Mexico’s Tamarind Institute. His subjects are usually panoramic landscapes in which he seeks to express “a unity and the possibility of an openness of all forms to all others.” He “makes his simple appearing forms move and completely interrelate.” Despite the softness and tranquility of his images, they are, as one observed, “made of steel.” Stroh also experimented with solar etching at Lynch Press in Taos.
Stroh’s work has been exhibited at the Library of Congress, the Oklahoma Art Center, the Galerie Seder in Paris, and the Willard Gallery and the World House Galleries of New York. He participated in one-person exhibitions at the Museum of Fine Arts in Santa Fe, the Roswell Museum and Art Center in Roswell, the Fort Worth Fine Arts Museum in Texas and the Harwood Museum of Art in Taos, among others.
Earl W. Stroh died in Santa Fe, New Mexico on July 3, 2005.